Synthetic Drug Investigation
Arkansas is on the cusp of a new era in drug use. The days of meth, cocaine, and marijuana are still with us, but there are many new classes of drugs that were not even heard of 10 years ago. Much of the focus will be on the widespread use and abuse of synthetic cathinones and synthetic cannabinoids. This course is designed to prepare front line officers on the dangers of new synthetic drugs as well as investigative techniques to combat these drugs that are becoming available in Arkansas. Officers will learn many of the new warning signs, dangers, and precautions that they will face with the growing use of these synthetic drugs. With the growing concern for the public’s safety and the availability of such dangerous drugs, this course will help law enforcement eradicate these drugs from their communities. Other topics of discussion will include phenethylamines, tryptamines, hallucinogenic botanicals, and other new stimulants, depressants, and opioids that have emerged in Arkansas in the recent past.
● Explore and develop an understanding of new drug categories including synthetic cannabinoids, cathinones, phenethylamine, and tryptamines.
● Recognize new drug names when referenced on reports.
● Apply elements of new criminal statutes to drug seizures containing the new synthetic drugs.
● Employ proper observance of safety protocols when investigating clandestine manufacturing and distribution sites of new synthetic drugs.
● Understand the investigative hazards and techniques of synthetic drug investigations.
• This class is 7 hours.
• Class hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
DATES AND LOCATIONS:
June 19, 2017